Preventing and treating blemishes can be a full time job for those with blemish-prone skin. Every product you apply needs to either be something that can help minimize the existing blemishes, or prevent new ones from forming. Use a product that’s too heavy and you risk causing your skin to have a breakout that you might end up fighting for days to come.
A good skincare routine for blemish-prone skin is one that not only helps control blemishes, but also takes care of your skin’s basic needs of cleansing, hydrating, and protecting. If you’re just starting out in skincare and want to try a few of our best-selling product for blemish-prone skin, try our Keep Calm Kit. This kit features our Calendula Deep Cleansing Foaming Face Wash, Cannabis Sativa Seed Herbal Concentrate, and our Calendula Serum-Infused Water Cream.
To keep your skin looking its cleanest, clearest, and healthiest, follow our tips for taking care of blemish-prone skin.
Step #1: Cleanse Away Pore-Clogging Debris With A Gentle Cleanser
Many people mistakenly believe that you need to use harsh products in order to get rid of blemishes. In fact, using face washes that are too drying can cause your skin to produce even more oil, which can in turn lead to more breakouts. Our calming face wash was made with problem skin in mind, thoroughly cleaning skin without stripping away its natural oils.
- Cleanses problem skin prone to imperfections, visible redness, and discomfort
- Calms and re-balances skin for a refreshed, healthy looking appearance
- Made with Cannabis Sativa Seed Oil and Green Oregano Oil
Step #2: Refresh Skin With A Soothing Toner
Similarly, those with blemish-prone skin have been taught to use astringent toners to “dry out” their blemishes. This is the opposite of what you want to do, as using harsh ingredients can lead to irritation, flakes, and more breakouts. Instead, opt for an alcohol-free, gently cleansing face toner like our cult-classic Calendula Herbal Extract Toner. It’s been a Kiehl’s iconic product since its introduction in the 1960s thanks to its unique blend of skin-balancing botanicals.
- Gently cleanses and refreshes facial skin without harsh synthetic drying agents
- Soothes and improves the feel of skin
- Formulated with Calendula, Burdock Root Extract, and Allantoin
Step #3: Calm Irritation With A Face Oil
Skin that is experiencing a breakout is oftentimes red and irritated. Because the skin barrier has been compromised and pores are inflamed, they can feel painful. A comforting lightweight facial oil like our non-comedogenic facial oil. With an herbal blend that uses hemp-derived Cannabis Sativa Seed Oil, it helps re-balance skin and calm irritation.
- Helps visibly reduce skin redness and provides relief from discomfort
- Calms the feeling of stressed skin while helping balance hydration
- Helps strengthen skin’s barrier to help skin protect itself
Step #4: Hydrate And Soften Skin With A Non-Comedogenic Moisturizer
When it comes to moisturizers, many people with blemish-prone skin can be nervous. That’s because many formulas may contain potentially pore-clogging ingredients that could exacerbate breakouts. A lightweight moisturizer like the Calendula Serum-Infused Water Cream offers skin-balancing hydration in a weightless texture with efficacious soothing and brightening ingredients.
- Visibly evens skin tone and boosts radiance in just 1 week
- Helps visibly reduce redness in just 2 weeks
- Helps improve uneven texture, dull skin and dry fine lines
- Softens skin immediately with lasting 24-hour hydration
As Needed: An On-The-Spot Blemish Treatment
When blemishes do form, you’ll want to have a acne spot treatment with Sulfur like the Breakout Control Targeted Acne Spot Treatment in your breakout-fighting toolkit. Using Sulfur and Vitamin B3, it targets blemishes to help reduce their appearance and prevent new ones from forming.
- Visibly reduces the appearance of acne blemishes
- Absorbs quickly and blends evenly into skin
- Formulated with 10% Sulfur along with Vitamin B3
- Clinically demonstrated* to rapidly reduce the appearance of acne blemishes
In The Morning: Protect Skin With A Daily Sunscreen
Regardless of your age or skin type, you need daily protection from the sun’s harmful rays. And, because many of the ingredients found in blemish products can make your skin more susceptible to sun damage, wearing sunscreen every day is extra important for blemish-prone types. Protect your skin from the sun with a facial sunscreen with SPF 50+ as your skin’s daily defense.
- Defends skin from the sun’s harmful rays with SPF 50+ protection
- Provides pollution protection
- Helps defend against early signs of aging caused by the sun
- Infused withVitamin E and formulated with UVA/UVB technology
3 Nights A Week: Decongest Clogged Pores With A Clay Mask
Sometimes, despite our best efforts, pores can become clogged with dirt, excess oil, and product build-up. In those cases, you need something a little bit stronger than your daily cleanser. A detoxifying clay face mask like our Rare Earth Deep Pore Cleansing Mask uses Amazonian White Clay and Aloe to help remove the excess oil and dead skin that can clog pores.