The sun is one of the leading causes of premature skin aging, both in men and women. In fact, it’s been shown that men’s skin is actually more susceptible to the damaging effects of ultraviolet radiation including the signs of premature aging that comes with unprotected sun exposure. Which is why it’s so important for men to incorporate sunscreen into their daily skincare routine and take other sun protection measures.
While we know SPF is key, oftentimes men will avoid sunscreen because it can be too thick, clump up in their beards, feel greasy, and even clog pores. Plus, men’s skin also has different needs than women, so finding the best sunscreen for men’s unique concerns takes some research. Keep reading to learn everything you need to know about how men can protect their skin from the sun’s damaging UV rays with the help of Kiehl’s sunscreens.
What The Sun Does To Skin
The sun emits ultraviolet radiation (a.k.a. UV), and there are two main types, called UVA and UVB. Think of UVA as the “aging” rays and UVB as the “burning” rays. UVA are longer wavelengths that penetrate deeper to cause genetic damage, which leads to issues like wrinkles and hyperpigmentation. The shorter wavelength UVB rays contribute to damage on the outermost layers of the skin, causing redness and burns. An effective way to help protect your skin from these damaging rays is to wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen for men and take other sun protection measures.
Sunscreen & Men’s Skin
A broad-spectrum sunscreen helps keep your skin safe from serious issues like melanoma, but also help prevent the signs of premature skin aging. It’s the reason why we are so passionate about recommending it to all of our customers. That said, sunscreen only works if you wear it and many men don’t do so because they don’t like the way some formulas feel on their skin. SPF, especially those that are not formulated with men in mind can sometimes be too oily, not hydrating enough, or too thick for those with facial hair.
Our Best SPF Options For Men
At Kiehl’s, we have a wide array of products that are perfectly suited for men’s skin. Our top three sunscreen picks are Facial Fuel Daily Energizing Moisture Treatment SPF 20, Ultra Facial Cream SPF 30, and Super Fluid Daily UV Defense SPF 50+. Each provides important protection, plus skin-hydrating benefits in textures that won’t feel greasy on the skin or clog pores.
Sun Safety Rules
In addition to wearing sunscreen, it’s important to know the right way to do it in order to get the most out of its protective benefits. There are a few standard rules to abide by:
- Always wear a sunscreen product that is formulated with broad-spectrum UVA and UVB protection. Remember, daily use is key, even on cloudy days — UV rays can penetrate through clouds and windows.
- Apply every morning before stepping out. Don’t forget to reapply sunscreen at least every two hours throughout the day, and right after swimming or sweating. When in doubt, refer to the directions on the bottle.
- When used as directed with other sun protection measures, diligent use of sunscreen products formulated with broad-spectrum SPF 15 or higher may help decrease the risk of skin cancer and early skin aging caused by the sun.
- If you have oily, acne-prone, or sensitive skin, consider a mineral sunscreen. Also referred to as physical sunscreens, these sun protection products are generally lighter and non-comedogenic.
- To help hydrate while you protect, opt for one of our most-loved moisturizers formulated with broad-spectrum SPF.
- Pay close attention to expiration dates, as sunscreens can lose their protective qualities over time.
When you use a Kiehl’s sunscreen and follow sun safety guidelines, you’ll provide the best protection for your skin and help keep yourself and your complexion healthy and looking youthful.